fbpx
Monday, April 22, 2024

Man, 68, faces court on four child abuse charges

A 68-year-old man who police claim planned to engage in sexual activity with a person under 16 years of age has faced Wollongong Local Court.

The AFP Child Protection Operations (CPO) team last week charged the man with four child-abuse related offences following a protracted covert online operation.

It will be alleged in Court that between March and October this year, the man expressed desires to commit child abuse offences and shared child abuse material online.

The man was arrested by AFP investigators after he allegedly planned to engage in sexual activity with a child, aged 12 years. A search warrant was executed on the man’s Wollongong home later that day, where investigators allegedly found child abuse material stored on electronic devices.

AFP Detective Leading Senior Constable Ernest Smith said the investigation highlighted how the AFP worked tirelessly to combat the exploitation and abuse of children.

“This outcome should serve as a warning to those seeking to harm and exploit our most vulnerable in our community – our children. The AFP and its partners are dedicated to targeting and identifying those seeking to exploit children and bring them to justice,” DLSC Smith said.

The man was charged with four child abuse-related offences. The maximum penalty for the offences is 15 years’ imprisonment.

Latest Articles