fbpx
Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Bellbird Park man, 65, charged with child abuse offences

A 65-year-old Queensland man has been charged with three counts of child abuse-related offences.

The Bellbird Park man, 65, is expected to appear in Brisbane Magistrates today.

The investigation began in June 2022 when the AFP-led Australian Centre to Counter Child Exploitation (ACCCE) received a report from the United States’ National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) about an online user uploading child abuse material using the Kik messenger platform.

AFP investigators from the Brisbane Joint Anti Child Exploitation Team (JACET) allegedly linked the man to the illegal online activity.

A search warrant was executed at the man’s home earlier this month, with investigators seizing a laptop and several USBs.

AFP Constable Tom Clayworth said the arrest was another reminder of the prevalence of online child abuse.

“Unfortunately, online child abuse material is not rare, and is a focus for the AFP and other law enforcement agencies who continue to work tirelessly to identify and prosecute those preying on children,” he said.

The man was arrested and charged with:

  • Two counts of possessing child abuse material accessed or obtained using a carriage service, contrary to section 474.22A of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth); and
  • One count of possessing child exploitation material, contrary to contrary to section 228D of the Criminal Code 1899 (Qld).

The maximum penalty for these offences is 15 years’ imprisonment.

Members of the public who have information about people involved in child abuse and exploitation are urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or www.accce.gov.au/report.

If you know abuse is happening right now or a child is at risk, call police immediately on 000.

Latest Articles