fbpx
Thursday, October 21, 2021

Extension of super drawdown rate good news for self-funded retirees

National Seniors Australia has welcomed the government’s decision to extend the halving of the minimum super drawdown rate, saying it’s great news for self-funded retirees.

Last year, National Seniors worked with the Alliance for a Fairer Retirement System to call for the temporary reduction in the superannuation minimum drawdown rate during the COVID crisis.

The government responded by reducing the minimum drawdown rate by 50% and this was due to end on 30 June 2021. It has now extended the halved rate for the 2021-22 financial year.

“This is great news for self-funded and part self-funded retirees whose nest eggs took a big hit in the COVID Financial Crisis which followed the outbreak,” said National Seniors Chief Advocate, Ian Henschke.

“I had an 87-year-old on the phone today who said it was the best present he could have received.”

“It shows the government is listening to the concerns of older Australians which is always welcome,” Mr Henschke said.

For someone aged less than 65 this means they will still be able drawdown as little as 2% of their superannuation balance in an account-based pension, compared with the pre-COVID minimum of 4%. A person aged 95 or more will have a minimum drawdown rate of 7%, compared with the pre-COVID minimum rate of 14%.

“This extension will make a difference to many retirees who were worried about their future savings and income,” said Mr Henschke.

Latest Articles

Call for civic-minded Queenslanders to join health board

The Queensland Government has put the call out for civic-minded North West Queenslanders who want to help shape the future of their...

Non-elective surgery to resume

Non-urgent elective surgery will recommence within Greater Sydney, including the Nepean Blue Mountains region, from Monday, October 25. NSW...

Drought claims Armidale Elms

A number of English Elm Trees that line the avenue paths in Armidale’s MacDonald Park have fallen victim to the 2019 drought,...

Police locate two bodies in missing vessel case

Tasmanian Police have confirmed the deaths of two people who were onboard an overdue vessel in waters off North West Tasmania. 

Jetstar to resume Cairns/Newcastle route

Jetstar has announced it will reinstate seasonal direct services between Cairns and Newcastle from December 18 when Queensland borders open.
X