fbpx
Thursday, February 29, 2024

Perth man jailed over child abuse offences

A 56-year-old Perth man has been sentenced to less than two years’ jail by the Perth Magistrates Court today, after pleading guilty to 11 counts of child abuse-related offences.

The Western Australia Joint Anti Child Exploitation Team (WA JACET) commenced an investigation into the man after receiving a referral from INTERPOL about a teenager in the United Kingdom who had been asked for sexually explicit images and conversations by an Australian man in exchange for money.

The WA JACET, which is comprised of AFP and Western Australia Police, commenced an investigation and linked the man to the activity.

AFP investigators executed a search warrant at the man’s Mosman Park home in March last year, where he was arrested and charged.

Police seized a tablet and two mobile phones which were found to contain evidence of further offending, including photos and conversations which constituted child abuse material.

The man pleaded guilty to seven counts of transmitting child abuse material using a carriage service; one count of soliciting child abuse material using a carriage service and three counts of possessing child abuse material using a carriage service.

The maximum penalty for each offence is 15 years’ imprisonment. He was sentenced to 21 months imprisonment.

AFP Detective Sergeant Karen Addiscott said the AFP, together with its international, state and territory law enforcement partners, remained committed to protecting our community’s most vulnerable – our children.

“Anyone who views this material is committing a crime,’’ Det-Sgt Addiscott said.

“Our message to online offenders has not changed – if you procure, access and transmit child abuse material, you will be found, arrested and prosecuted.

“This is not a victimless crime. Children are not commodities to be used for the abhorrent gratification of sexual predators.”

Latest Articles