fbpx
Saturday, April 13, 2024

$1m to stem Stockton Beach slide

One million dollars in NSW Government funding will go toward addressing the problem of beach erosion at Stockton Beach in Newcastle.

The Deputy Premier and Minister Responsible for Resources, John Barilaro, said the funding commitment followed the inaugural meeting of the Deputy Premier’s Stockton Beach Taskforce, which was held remotely earlier this month. 

“When I committed to this task I was determined to ensure the taskforce’s discussions are matched by action”, Mr Barilaro said. 

“I have put forward three key action plans which are backed by the taskforce – having already identified the best potential sand source, we have now committed $1 million in funding to commence the necessary exploration work to find the most suitable sand supply in that area,” he said.

“This expenditure will also help gather some preliminary baseline environmental data to help inform a future development application.”

“The third key action plan is a commitment to progress minor amendments to the Offshore Minerals Act which will be taken to Cabinet for approval.”

Mr Barilaro said the NSW Government was determined to find a solution by working with both sides of Government as well as the community. 

“I am grateful for the spirit of co-operation demonstrated from our first meeting, which has brought together government agencies, local community leaders and representatives, and the Port of Newcastle.”

The Deputy Premier’s taskforce will meet a minimum of four times a year, with plans to host a COVID-safe meeting in Newcastle later in the year. 

Latest Articles