fbpx
Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Police appeal on first anniversary of murdered teen

Homicide Squad detectives are renewing their appeal for public information on the first anniversary of teenager Omar Elomar’s shooting murder in Sydney’s west.

Police say that just after 11pm on Saturday, February 15 last year, emergency services were called to Cabramatta Avenue at Miller, following reports a man had been shot.

“Officers located an 18-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the chest and despite the efforts of emergency services, he died at the scene,” NSW Police said in a statement.

The teenager was formally identified as 18-year-old, Omar Elomar (pictured).

“Following initial inquiries by officers from Liverpool City Police Area Command, detectives from the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad took carriage of the investigation under Strike Force Cero,” police said.

“So far during the investigation, strike force detectives charged an 18-year-old Macquarie Fields man over his alleged involvement in the incident. The man – now aged 19 – remains before the courts.”

In July last year, strike force detectives released CCTV vision of two vehicles of interest – a silver sedan and red hatchback – seen in the area at the time of the shooting.

As investigations continue, police are renewing their appeal to the community for any information that may be able to assist with ongoing inquiries.

Homicide Squad Commander, Detective Acting Superintendent Jason Dickinson, said detectives were continuing to explore several lines of inquiry to identify additional offenders involved in Omar’s murder.

“It has now been a year since the life of 18-year-old, Omar Elomar, was cut short in a senseless act of violence,” Det A/Supt Dickinson said.

“As we continue to seek answers for Omar’s family, we are urging anyone with information about the incident who is yet to speak with police, to come forward.

“Initial inquiries suggest four to five males of Pacific Islander/Maori appearance were seen in the area at the time of the incident and acting suspiciously. 

“Anyone who has knowledge of this group or who can help detectives identify the vehicles shown in the CCTV vision – is urged to contact police immediately.”

Police are urging anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Cero investigators to call Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au.

Latest Articles