fbpx
Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Boys charged over memorial vandalism

Two boys have been charged over a vandalism attack on the Duncan Chapman Memorial statue in Queens Park.

A 16-year-old boy and a 14-year-old boy, both from Maryborough, have been charged with one count each of wilful damage and pubic nuisance under the provisions of the Youth Justice Act.

Police last week released CCTV footage of four youths who they say attended the Anzac memorial just after midnight on January 11 and bashed the statue with rocks, causing chip marks to the statue’s face.

Wide Bay Burnett Detective Inspector Gary Pettiford said the Duncan Chapman statue held significant historical and cultural value to the Fraser Coast community.

“It is very disappointing to see offences like this committed against such important historical memorials in our community,” Detective Inspector Pettiford said.

“We are taking this matter very seriously and as part of our investigations, we are now appealing for public assistance to identify those responsible for this disrespectful act.”

Latest Articles