fbpx
Thursday, May 30, 2024

$36m funding boost for domestic violence support sector

The Queensland Government today announced it will boost funding to the state’s domestic, family and sexual violence sector by $36 million next financial year.

On the eve of Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Month, Premier Steven Miles announced the 20% increase to funding, which he says will help the sector meet an increase in demand.

The ongoing funding will help fund:

  • Frontline domestic, family and sexual violence services;
  • Programs to take action to address behaviours of persons using violence; and
  • New programs that fill gaps in service delivery across the state.

The announcement takes the Government’s funding for DFSV services to nearly $214 million for 2024-25.

“No person should ever live in fear that someone they love could hurt or kill them,” the Premier said today.

“Any violent death is incomprehensible but to lose your life at the hands of someone you loved is just abhorrent.

“May is Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Month – a time to raise awareness and send a message that this behaviour will not be tolerated.

“While my government is taking strong action, I will be advocating for a greater national approach to domestic and family violence when national cabinet convenes on Wednesday.

“Together we are stronger and as a nation, we can come together to put a stop to the violence,” said Mr Miles.

Earlier this month, the Government announced almost $55 million in domestic and family violence initiatives, including the appointment of QCOSS to establish the new domestic and family violence sector’s peak body, a new training framework to help organisations deliver consistent, trauma-informed and culturally appropriate training, and a new Training Support and Coordination Service.

As part of that funding package, the government also released Queensland’s Plan for the Primary Prevention of Violence Against Women 2024-2028, a blueprint to stop violence from occurring in the first place.

“Just this past weekend we have witnessed thousands of victim-survivors of domestic, family and sexual violence and their supporters, rally around the country demanding action,” said Attorney-General, Minister for Justice and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence ,Yvette D’Ath.

“We need them to know we are listening but also taking action to address this terrible scourge that has festered in our communities for far too long.

“This new funding will further support victim-survivors to access the specialist support they need to recover and rebuild their lives,” she said.

Ending Violence Against Women Queensland president, Amie Carrington said the group welcomed the Premier’s personal commitment to take action.

“The whole sector is galvanized on the urgent need to address this crisis,” she said.

“We all have a responsibility to listen to the voices of victim survivors and act to make real change for future generations.”

Latest Articles