fbpx
Friday, June 21, 2024

Two men charged over kidnapping of former Australian cricketer

NSW Police Robbery and Serious Crime Squad detectives have charged a further two men over the alleged kidnapping of former Australian cricketer, Stuart MacGill earlier this year.

Police say that at around 8pm on Wednesday, April 14, the 50-year-old former spin bowler was allegedly confronted by a 46-year-old man near the intersection of Parraween and Winnie Streets at Cremorne.

“A short time later the pair were approached by two other men who allegedly forced the older man into a vehicle.”

“He was then driven to a property at Bringelly, where the two men, plus another unknown man, allegedly assaulted the 50-year-old man and threatened him with a firearm,” NSW Police said in a statement released this morning.

About an hour later, they say MacGill was driven to the Belmore area and released.

The incident was reported to officers from North Shore Police Area Command six days later, on Tuesday 20 April.

Detectives from the State Crime Command’s Robbery and Serious Crime Squad were notified and subsequently commenced an investigation under Strike Force Cain.

Following extensive inquiries, detectives, with assistance from Raptor Squad and the Public Order and Riot Squad, arrested four men – aged 27, 29, 42 and 46 – on May 5.

All four were charged over their alleged involvement in the incident and remain before the courts.

Following further inquiries, and a public appeal for information, strike force detectives executed two search warrants at homes at Blacktown and Rouse Hill from 9am last Friday.

During the searches, officers seized several items relevant to the investigation, including a mobile phone.

Around midday yesterday, two men – aged 22 and 19 – were escorted from a correctional centre at Silverwater to Parramatta Police Station, where they were arrested.

Both were charged with take/detain in company with intent to get advantage occasion actual bodily harm, and participate criminal group contribute criminal. They have been remanded in custody to appear at Parramatta Local Court via video link today.

“As inquiries continue, detectives are still appealing for information about a third man they believe may be able to assist them with their inquiries,” NSW Police said.

“The man is described as being of Middle Eastern appearance, aged between 25 and 35, with a solid build, short dark coloured thinning hair and a brown and red coloured beard.”

Police say the man was seen driving a white Toyota Camry with a rideshare sticker on the rear.

In a recent interview with Channel Nine’s A Current Affair, MacGill said he was still haunted by memories of the alleged kidnapping, which is believed to have been the result of a failed cocaine deal between two parties.

“I just didn’t really know what was going to happen, that’s all,” MacGill told A Current Affair.

Investigations by the Robbery and Serious Crime Squad are continuing.

Latest Articles