Victorian Health Minister Jenny Mikakos has been stripped of responsibility for the state’s abysmal hotel quarantine program.
Premier Daniel Andrews passed the scheme to the state’s Attorney-General, Jill Hennessy, as a war of words continues within the walls of the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety over just who is responsible for the failures of the program.
Jobs Minister, Martin Pakula has confirmed his department was responsible for the logistics of the scheme, but said the Victorian health department was in charge of the management of infection control.
“The reason that private security was used was because that instruction came to our department from the State Control Centre,” he told the Commission.
Premier Andrews has maintained his state was not offered the assistance of Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel to manage the hotel quarantine program.
But a statement from Defence Minister Linda Reynolds supplied to the Commission this week says ADF personnel were available to assist.
Meanwhile Minister Mikakos has gone quiet on Twitter following the announcement, after previously actively posting updates in relation to the pandemic.
“I have put every ounce of energy I’ve had into that effort. If it wasn’t enough, then I’m deeply sorry,” she previously posted in a rambling tweet on August 9.