Friday, June 21, 2024

Man’s body found in Broken Hill house blaze

A man believed to be aged in his 70s has died after fire engulfed a home in Broken Hill this morning.

Emergency services were called to the semi-detached home in Argent Street at around 1am today, after neighbours reported seeing flames.

“Fire and Rescue NSW firefighters were initially unable to enter the building due to the severity of the blaze; when they did gain access about 3.20am they found the body of a man in a bedroom,” NSW Police said in a statement.

“He has not yet been identified but is believed to be the occupant, aged in his 70s. Neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution until the fire was contained. Specialist fire investigators will examine the scene later this morning.”

The cause of the blaze is not yet confirmed, but Police believe it may have started in the home’s fireplace.

They say the home did not appear to have smoke detectors fitted.

Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au.

Latest Articles