fbpx
Monday, June 24, 2024

Man faces court over alleged machete attack on 72-year-old

A man has faced a NSW court today after allegedly threatening a 72-year-old man with a machete in Tamworth last month.

Police say that shortly after 1pm on Saturday, June 19, the 72-year-old man attended a home on Bent Street, where he met with a woman and a 43-year-old man who were not known to him.

“It is alleged the younger man threatened the older man and demanded cash to which he obliged,” NSW Police said in a statement.

Police say the older man left the scene and did not report the matter to police.

“On Friday 25 June 2021, police will allege the older man was at a home on Edinburgh Street, Tamworth, when the 43-year-old emerged from a room and confronted him,” police said.

Officers were told he threatened the older man with a machete – causing a laceration to his hand – while demanding a further quantity of cash.

The younger man stole the man’s bank card which was allegedly used to withdraw cash at an ATM a short time later, before the man was driven to hospital for treatment.

“Following inquiries, police arrested the 43-year-old man at Tamworth Police Station on unrelated matters about 2pm yesterday,” NSW Police said.

He was charged with take/ detain in company with intent occasion actual bodily harm, demand property with menaces with intent to steal, and reckless wounding in company.

The man was refused bail and appeared at Tamworth Local Court today where he was refused bail to reappear at the same court on August 25.

Latest Articles