Police have arrested a second man over the suspicious death of a woman in Sydney’s south last year.
On July 29 last year, police were called to bushland near Sandy Point Quarry off Heathcote Road, Menai, after a woman’s body was found by a member of the public.
The woman was identified as 33-year-old Najma Carroll (pictured).
Following extensive inquiries, detectives attended a correctional facility at Silverwater and arrested a 57-year-old man about 8.30am yesterday. He was charged with murder and remanded in custody.
Around 8.30am today, investigators returned to the correctional facility and arrested a 43-year-old man. The man was also charged with murder and remanded in custody.
Both men are due to appear at Sutherland Local Court via video link today.
Homicide Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty, said the arrests were the result of tenacious work by detectives and support from members of the public.
“During the investigation, police identified that the last known sighting of Ms Carroll was when she left a hotel at Liverpool on Saturday 11 July 2020 about 7.30pm,” Det Supt Doherty said.
“This was over two weeks before her body was discovered 15km away at Menai with horrific injuries,” he said.
“Following investigations, two men have now been charged over their alleged roles in the death of Ms Carroll, who was in the prime of her life.
“While we have been able to deliver some justice for Namja and her family, detectives are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding her death.”
Najma Carroll’s mother thanked all those that played a role in the two men being brought to justice.
“I would like to thank the man that found Najma, the support from the Homicide Victim support group and the police investigating her death,” Najma’s mum said.
“Najma was my beloved daughter who has a loving, generous and courageous spirit.
“Najma struggled with addiction from her teenage years, but she never resorted to crime to feed that addiction.
“We need to educate our sons and daughters that violence towards women is not acceptable and that culture needs to change.
“I thank everyone who has come forward and urge anyone with more information to contact police.”
Police say their inquiries as part of Strike Force Dalcassia are continuing.