fbpx
Sunday, July 21, 2024

Man arrested after death threats to Qld Premier, Chief Health Officer

Queensland Police detectives have arrested a Gold Coast man over alleged threats he made to kill the Queensland Premier and Chief Health Officer.

Police executed a search warrant at the man’s property last night as a result of investigations into the alleged threats made by phone to Anastasia Palaszcuk and Jeannette Young.

The 43-year-old Nerang man will appear in the Southport Magistrates Court on October 7 charged with one count of Using a Carriage Service to Make a Threat to Kill.

The man has not been held in custody, but was issued with a Notice to Appear.

The arrest follows a statement from Queensland Police earlier this week in relation to threats against the two government officials.

“Where there is information that gives us concern for the wellbeing of anyone we will take action. Either they will come to us or we will go to them and give them advice on their safety,” said Detective Superintendent Tony Fleming.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk.

“My understanding is police have engaged with the CHO and given her some advice.”

Dr Young had compared the threats to the hardships people were facing during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“It has taken an enormous toll on me but then, this has taken an enormous toll on nearly every single person in our community,” she said in a statement.

“I think it is not right that a public servant of her high standing – and she is regarded as one of the best in the nation – be attacked for giving her clear advice,” the Premier said earlier this week.

The Premier has not yet commented publicly on the alleged threats made in relation to her by the man arrested in Nerang.

If you have information for police, contact Policelink by providing information using the online suspicious activity form 24hrs per day at www.police.qld.gov.au/reporting.

Latest Articles